MHS History

Our History

As early as the late 1800's, Anabaptists in the United States began developing health and human service organizations, such as: nursing homes, mental health centers, hospitals, and agencies serving youth and those with developmental disabilities. In some cases, these ministries were initiated locally by individuals, congregations, and other groups, while others were initiated regionally or nationally by mission and service agencies. The existence of a national network of organizations can be traced to the 1940's, when Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) established five mental health organizations under the oversight of Mennonite Mental Health Services.

In the 1980's, Mennonite Mental Health Services separated from MCC and expanded to include any health and human service providers affiliated with Anabaptist denominations. A later refocusing of our mission resulted in the name MHS.

Today, MHS has more than 75 member organizations and maintains strong church connections through formal relationships with Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Brethren US Conference. In 2013, MHS became an agency of Mennonite Church USA.